Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Assignment 6: Poem Response

"Opinion is a flitting thing,
But truth outlasts the Sun--
If we cannot own them both--
Posess the oldest one."

                     - Emily Dickenson

As an assignment, I am to respond to Ms.Crosbie about what this poem means to me.

I broke it down to find my meaning.

Opinion is a flitting thing, : Opinions change rapidly,

But truth outlasts the Sun-- : The truth shines brighter than anything,

If we cannot own them both-- : Sometimes your opinion dosen't match the truth,

Posess the oldest one. : Never second guess your opinion.

What this poem means to me is your opinion my change over but just because it may not be the truth, you shouldn't abandon it.

Like Martin Luther King, other people had different opinions but he never abandoned what he thought was right. So it should be applied to society because more poeple would voice there opinion. Alot of people are scared to voice their opinion and stand up because they are afraid of rejection and the fact that others would dissagree and cause commotion.

                                                             -Cheers

2 comments:

  1. I like how you brokke it down! COOL! But what about the society part? I'm not sure if you have to do it but...I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awsome courtney i also like how u broke it down luvv it!!!

    ReplyDelete