Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Assignment 5: The Golden Rule!

What is the message of the Golden rule?

I believe the message of the golden rule is to treat others the way you want to be treated. For example I'm not going to be rude and ignorant to someone for no reason because that is not how I would like to be treated.

Which expression of the Golden Rule do you like the best? Why?

My favorite expression is the one from the Baha'i Faith.

"Lay not on any soul a load that you would not wish to be laid upon you, and desire not for anyone the things you would not desire for yourself." -Baha'ullah, Gleanings.

I like this one the best because I can relate to it the most, in more ways than others. It really makes me think back on past decisions that I have made.

What could things be like if everyone behaved according to the Golden Rule?

The world would be a wonderful place with no conflict on anyone's race or religion, sex or sexual orientation, ect. Some people would have more friends and there would be a lot more diversity among society. Overall the world would be a much better place.

I think what we as people seem to neglect, is the number of death discrimination has caused, and how many people are hurting right now today. I believe that alot of people would still be alive if we all abided by the golden rule. Hey, I bet you most wars would never have happened. But that's just my opinion.

Why is it that sometimes we don't behave according to the Golden Rule?

It really differs from person to person. It could be because of a bad experience with someone of a different race or growing up hearing family members discriminate people who differ from themselves. Even if a person has a grudge against someone of a different race or religion, it could cause them to judge their whole race or background!

Thanks for reading!

-Cheers

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney!

    I loved your blog about the "Golden Rule". Here are some things that I enjoyed and things you should think about for the future. (It's an assignment that I have to do)

    3 things I liked!

    One thing I liked about this blog was that you colour coordinated the text. You made the questions that you were supposed to answer in blue, and your answers or responses in black. People can really tell the difference that way, and if you would've just put the questions and answers in the same colour, it would've been difficult to tell for the people who were reading your blogs.
    Another thing I liked about this blog was when you used different words (ie: abided, differ, and neglect) instead of words that people often use. A great writer needs to have a great knowledge in vocabulary, and you absolutely do that on your blogs.
    The third thing I liked about this blog was how descriptive it was. When you recommended your favourite books to me when we first met, you really wrote great explanations for each book. Same with your blogs, your descriptions in everything you write are excellent. Awesome work, can't wait to see some of your poems and writing entries on your blog!

    2 further ideas

    One further idea that I have is that when you respond to an answer, and you put because after your response to say why to respond to that answer, be aware that there should be a comma after your response and before because. (i.e. the girl was happy, because she had chocolate) Because is a conjunction, other conjunctions would be or, and, but, so, however, as, etc. Usually, there would be a comma before the conjunction. I don't know though if that happens all the time, but I guess most of the time.
    Another further idea that I have for you is that when you get other assignments, you should post a link on your blog that your assignments are on, and the link should go back to the instructions for any kind of assignment that your teacher gives you. Then, people would know and understand what you needed to do for that assignment, so then they could just look at yours and see how you completed this assignment without not knowing what you had to do.

    1 question

    Your favourite way of expressing the Golden Rule was that quote from the Baha'i Faith. (Which I thought was a really great way of expressing it) What I wanna know is when did you first hear or see that quote? Did you find it out of a resource, or did your teacher tell you it? etc.

    It was a fantastic blog Courtney, you should be very proud of yourself! Please feel free to comment if you have any questions about this. Keep up the excellent work. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete